Summary: Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes are both well-known email clients, but due to particular situations, users look for migration. In this blog, we will touch upon certain reasons why users import NSF to PST, along with the solution to make that happen.
Do you know that the Outlook PST files save the complete data of Microsoft Outlook locally? Working with these files doesn’t require an internet connection, and users can find their files in system, but their location will differ according to the Outlook edition. However, when HCL Notes users need to switch to Outlook, they need to import NSF to PST because Outlook doesn’t support NSF files.
In this technical blog, we will elaborate on some of the swiftest ways to explain the procedure to move the NSF files data into Outlook. In addition, we’ll quickly go into the details about the manual method, which also allows for performing the file conversion task. So, kindly read this article completely, as incomplete information always put you in the worst situation.
What are the reasons behind the migration from HCL Notes towards Outlook?
It’s always the user’s decision to look for a better alternative based on some reasons and understanding. Ultimately, the most important thing that matters at the end of the day is how well you are prepared to take the new things. However, if we foray into why users think to import NSF to PST, below are some of the reasons that come to our mind.
- Outlook is one of the cost-effective email clients that have competitive pricing in comparison to Lotus Notes.
- Novice users feel comfortable working with Outlook because of the much better user interface than any emailing platform.
- Lotus Notes has the limitation that users cannot work on multiple accounts at the same time; however, this is reversed in the case of Microsoft Outlook.
- Outlook takes lower system memory which impacts little on the system speed, but Lotus Notes consumes more memory.
- Users will also get the accessibility to their data in the Offline mode, and Lotus Notes does not offer such a facility.
Ways to Import Lotus Notes NSF files into Outlook
Part A- Export NSF into CSV
Yes, there are free methods to import the user NSF files into Outlook, but the methods consist of three phases. First, you need to export the data from the NSF into CSV files and then import CSV into Outlook. In the end, save the data into the PST file. We have shared the step-by-step approach to import NSF to PST, which are as follows:
- Firstly, open the Lotus Notes client and move to the file tap. Select open and then click on the IBM Notes application.
- Now select the required NSF file using the browse button. Highlight the required file and later on click on Open.
- Now select the folder you need to Export. After that, choose Comma Separated Value as a file type. Click on the Export button to commence the NSF to PST conversion process.
- CSV Export will show you where you can customize the export as per your need. Once done, click on Ok.
Once done with the process mentioned above, the CSV file will get saved in the requested location.
Part B- Import Resultant Comma Separated File into Outlook
- Open Outlook, and from the menu, select Open/Export>> Import & Export.
- Now pick up the Import from another program option and proceed to the other process by selecting the Next button.
- Select CSV as the file type from the Import to a file window. Click next to continue.
- Upload the CSV file with the help of the browser and select any one option from the given list. Press the next button.
- Browse the location to save the CSV data and after selecting them, click on Next.
- Click on finish once the import task get over.
Part C- Export the NSF file Data into PST file
This will be the last step in the procedure to import NSF to PST, and if the user particularly requires a PST file then do follow the steps shared below to start the conversion.
- Now, launch Outlook in your system and then go to file, and you need to select Import & Export after selecting Open/Export.
- The import and Export window will move further by choosing the Export to a file option.
- Select the Outlook data file (PST) from the save file type options. Click Next to continue.
- You can now select the data from where you saved it earlier. Also, you can use the include subfolder option to add selective subfolders and click on next.
- Browse the destination location to store the PST files, and also do select a single option from the given options. Click on a finish to complete the process.
Use Third-party Software for the Effective NSF to PST Conversion
Due to the less control over the conversion and multiple drawbacks of the manual methods, it is suggested to look over the third-party tool for making the conversion. They offer better features and come in handy while converting files. Users can use Shoviv NSF to PST converter tool to convert multiple NSF files of any size into PST files.
This utility performs the conversion while sustaining the data Meta properties. Users will find its data filtration option as a useful feature because it allows them to process only the selective data. It has one of the most intuitive user interfaces, making it easier for the user to import NSF to PST files. Its incremental export option is essential and helps at times when the user looks to resume the conversion, and the tool restricts duplicate items.
This NSF to PST conversion tool has got multiple more features which make the conversion more effective. Let’s now provide you with an overview of the software working, and by following the steps, you can easily make the conversion easier.
- Firstly, launch the tool to convert NSF to PST on the system. Now click on Add source from the tool’s ribbon bar menu.
- Then the software will provide some options to add the required NSF file. Users can use options such as adding files from the Domino server locally, etc. Click on the Ok button to move further.
- Select the folder which you need to move in PST, and after selecting them, click on the Outlook PST option.
- From this window, you can include and remove particular subfolders. Click on the Next button to continue.
- Set the location for saving the output PST file and along with it. Users can use options like incremental export, set PST password, and limit the size of the resultant PSTs. Press the next button to move ahead.
- In the last phase, users can use the data filter, folder mapping and email translation options.
- The software will not start the process to convert NSF to PST with the pre-defined settings. Wait until the process completion, and in the end, click on finish to end the process.
We have provided you with the information to help you choose the approach to convert the Lotus Notes NSF file to PST. It also depends upon the user requirements to go with any of the above-described solutions to import NSF to PST files. However, we suggest all to try the software demo version to understand how they will perform while converting the NSF files.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!